Thursday, March 22, 2012

Talking Point 4 (pg 20-24)

    The questions I have for this article is, did her children, or students change after she has tried to change their point of view on different people? Are they still the same? How did you discipline them when the questions became difficult? I am sure I have plenty of other questions to ask, but I wanted to say something that I agree with on this article, or topic. I agree that we should teach children equality while they are still young and would be gullible to believe in something with a great backed up reason behind it. Nowadays, people take racism as a joke and not many people get offended by the jokes either. Though is that really the case? I’m sure there are kids out there who are still offended and have fears of being different. In the story, she quoted, “We Respect Ourselves and Others,” (page 23) this quote is basically telling us that not only do we have to respect ourselves and people similar to us, but to also respect people who are different, whom we would never get a second thought that we would actually get along with that person. People in my high school are usually straight to criticize without giving a second thought about the feelings of the person they may be hurting. It is a depressing scene. “We must provide each of our children a world where they are truly valued.” (page 24) I really like this quote. It not only goes to one child, but to all. Every child from different ethnic backgrounds are suppose to feel like they are valued, especially from their parents.

1 comment:

  1. What a great question, Lesley! I appreciate the seriousness with which you approach your readings.

    ReplyDelete