Thursday, March 1, 2012

Talking Point 2

The new questions I have after reading this article is, why would she even point out racism and sexism to the kids? They are at an age where they should be carefree and not worry about things like that. They probably wouldn't have thought much about it if no one had said anything. It has been bothering me that they bring it up so much to children. I understand that you want them to grow up knowing the troubles of the world, but if you teach them to always be criticizing something that they would usually overlook, then they will grow up thinking about that every time they start a new book. I am against racism, because I truly feel that everyone should be looked upon as an equal. The only thing different about people to me, is our personality. No one lives the same, no one truly acts the same, and no one can really think the same. Though teaching this to elementary kids is wrong, if it was middle school students, or even high school students, then I would understand. "But if a child can be shown how to detect racism and sexism in a book, the child can proceed to transfer the perception to wider areas." (Page 10). They are thinking about teaching child to look for racism and sexism in books that they read. To be honest, I think that would pretty amazing, but I still disagree with them having a child learn how to detect it at such a young age. I mean it is good, but they'll be living with it all their life, reading many books and thinking, that's racist, that's sexist. I don't think children should worry about things like that. Maybe when they are older, then sure, but at that age, I'm against it.

1 comment:

  1. Do you think there are age-appropriate ways to do this? The research literature contends that biases develop very early.

    ReplyDelete